Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Kit & Paper Flowers, Oh My!

Okay guys. It's Fall time. Well, almost but close enough, dangit! I loooove sweaters, hoodies, crazy hats and coffee! It's kinda my thang ;) So....enough about what *I* like...here's something YOU might like :)

Pumpkin Spice
Available at The Digichick


Here's a better look at the papers:


You KNOW I need to include some of the awesome samples my team came up with! ;)


by Christine (Sept. Guest)


by Sally


by Carrin

And now... I am not a hybrid artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I was feeling inspired yesterday, hehe. I was browsing over at The Digichick and found this thread HERE that included a link to a fab paper flower tutorial on YouTube. TONS of inspiration and photos, guys! Anywho. I figured I needed something to add the flower to, so printed out a couple things from my new release, Pumpkin Spice.



Also used:

-white cardstock for backing and printing patterns
-red and yellow cardstock for paper flower
-hot glue
-button for flower center
-ribbon
-exacto knife
-scallop die cut
-fall foliage for layering

I cut out a 10x5in sheet of some thicker cardstock and folded in half to use as the card base. I then printed out 5x5 red/maroon background using one of the solid papers in the kit, along with bits and pieces for accents (word bits, fence, patterns). While the paper dried, I cut out some flower shapes and layered them to alternate between red and yellow. I used a spray bottle with water to moisten the flower shapes, and 'scrunched' them as shown in the YouTube video in the above thread. After the flowers were properly scrunchified, I set them aside to dry.

I used my paper cutter to cut all of the square/rectangle backgrounds and shapes, then my exacto knife to cut out the fence. I also grabbed a scallop die cut stencil thing-a-ma-bob and my exacto knife again to cut the yellow patterned paper for layering.

To add a little texture, I cut messy strips of flecked cardstock to layer for my backround. Using just regular old scissors, folks! After that was finished, I was able to add some foliage (if you can even call it that) from my yard. Thank you, Aidan for the help in 'picking'! For these, I just used a hot glue gun. Then came hot gluing the fence and more foliage.

I took the scallop cut yellow pattern paper and glued a strip of pumpkin patterned paper (also from the kit). I then grabbed some ribbon (I chose bright orange because that was the only Fall-type color that was available to me at the time) and hot-glued that right on top of those patterned papers. It's nice to glue the edges of the ribbon behind your paper so you don't have frayed ribbon sticking out. You know, unless that's your thing- then go for it!

Hot glue some word strips, assemble the flower with hot glue, add a button or brad and you're done!



1 comments:

Lindsay said...

Impressed with your hybrid-ness.

Photobucket


Simply Scraps

Simply Scraps Simply ScrapsSimply Scraps
Photobucket
Photobucket

Scrap Orchard
Persnickety Prints! Fan of kevinandamanda.com! Free Fonts. Recipes. Scrapbooking. Photography. Blog Design. Tutorials. Giveaway. Everything you're into!
Photobucket